Tuesday, March 13, 2018

SENSEational Story Time: "How Do You Feel?"



It was another snow-filled Saturday last month, but our SENSEational Story Time families (including a new family!) said "they wouldn't miss it!" Yay! We celebrated by having fun with our feelings. We talked about how friends (and the help of a few silly hats) can make us feel better. Then we learned how our actions (and the acts of others) make us feel with lessons from a bunny.

Here's the plan:
visual schedule


1. Hello

2. Welcome Song: "The Story Time Ball"

Tune: "Wheels on the Bus"
(Roll ball back and forth to each child)
The story time ball rolls back and forth,
back and forth, back and forth.
The story time ball rolls back and forth,
Let's see who it found. Hi ______!
Now roll it back to me.
(Keep rolling back and forth until each child has said their name.)


3. Mindfulness exercise: "Body Scan"
Lie back or remain seated, close your eyes, and squeeze all of your muscles as tight as you can. Now relax all of your muscles --- "How do you feel?"


4. Flannel activity: "Expressions Game"

flannel faces that are happy, angry, surprised, scared, silly, and sad
I gave the kids scenarios and then we pointed to the expression that best fit how we would feel in each situation.

Yellow - "happy"
What if your parents gave you a big box, and inside the box was a puppy? How would you feel? What does your face look like when you are happy?

Purple - "surprised"
What if you walked into a room and everyone yelled "happy birthday!?" How would you feel? What does it look like when you're surprised?

Purple - "scared"
What if those people who yelled scared you? What does your scared face look like? (put hands over eyes on face)

Red - "angry"
What if someone pushed you and made fun of you, or took your favorite toy? How would you feel? What does your face look like when you're angry?

Blue - "silly"
Do you like to be silly? Make a silly face!

Green - "sad"
What if you fell and skinned your knee? How would you feel? What does your face look like when you are sad?



5. Story with interactive flannels: Hooray for Hat! by Brian Won

flannel elephant, owl, turtle, zebra, lion, giraffe
box with red bow


box opened with little flannel hats for animals
After a grumpy Elephant opened his gift of wonderful hats, he gave one to each of his friends, who then gathered all of the hats together again to gift to Giraffe so he would feel better! I had some helpers in story time gather the hats from all of the animals to place in the box, one at a time, for Giraffe.


6. Scarf rhyme: "Shake My Sillies Out"
I had the kids choose a scarf color to shake based on how they were feeling (like we talked about earlier in the expressions game).

I've gotta shake, shake, shake my sillies out
shake, shake, shake my sillies out.
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out
and wiggle my waggles away.

I've gotta clap, clap, clap my gloomies out
clap, clap, clap my gloomies out.
Clap, clap, clap my gloomies out
and wiggle my waggles away.

I've gotta stomp, stomp, stomp my scaries out
stomp, stomp, stomp my scaries out.
Stomp, stomp, stomp my scaries out
and wiggle my waggles away.

I've gotta shake, shake, shake my sillies out
shake, shake, shake my sillies out.
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out
and wiggle my waggles away.
(Adaptation of song by Raffi)



7. Sensory Story: Bunny's Lessons by Harriet Ziefert

tactile items include bunny puppet, doll, toy stethoscope, toy thermometer, toy glass of milk, blue flannel splotches, bowl of noodles, book

During the story, kids were invited to put bandaids on our bunny puppet, touch/feel his noodle lunch, help Charlie feed "baby" bunny his milk, paint (flannel) splotches of blue on bunny, and then we all gave ourselves a big hug in the end (like Charlie and bunny).


8. Parachute activity: "Grand Old Duke of York"
The grand old Duke of York,
He had ten thousand men.
He marched them up to the top of the hill 
And he marched them down again.
And when they were up, they were up.
And when they were down, they were down.
And when they were only half-way up,
they were neither up nor down.


9. Goodbye song and stretch: "Tickle the Clouds"
Tickle the clouds.
Tickle your toes.
Turn around and tickle your nose.
Reach down low.
Reach up high.
Story time's over.
Wave goodbye!


10. Sensory craft: "Stress balloon balls"

We stretched our balloons out, rolled up play dough "worms," and stuffed them into our balloons. Caregivers tied a knot at the bottom of the filled balloons so the kids could draw faces on their stress ball. Then we squeezed!!

boys holding stress ball balloons

boy squeezing stress ball balloon

No comments:

Post a Comment